random picture

14 January 2008

last night sucked

last night at work was horrible, mainly towards the end. here's where i start the rant. my feet were hurting really bad all night. i had to take a delivery to a strip club. it made me sick and also pissed off. then, i had to take a delivery to 43rd and pine lake-ish. but i couldn't get an exact route there because the map program on the computers weren't working. it took even longer to find the house because the streets in that neighborhood are a little weird. then, i ran over to 14th and pine lake-ish. the apartment buildings there do not have numbers on them making it difficult to know where i'm supposed to go. i proceeded to call the customer. he didn't answer. arghhhhhh! it's 10:40!!! eventually i got a hold of him and things were good so i headed back to the store.

when i got back to the store, i noticed another driver had already clocked out and left. this was very unusual because there were three deliveries that needed to go out and the other driver was still out on his deliveries. so why did pat go home early? i do not know. i just know it made me pretty mad. the manager had all the deliveries ready to go and was sort of shooing me out the door. all three deliveries by the way, were going to the very south end of town, by the mall. arghhhhhh! "why am i getting stuck with this?" i thought. i pack up everything and leave as fast as possible. it's now 10:55!!!

the first place was a piece of cake to find. the last two however, were a bit tougher. they were both apartments and they were both within a block of each other. the apartment buildings though, did not have well visible numbers on them making it very difficult to find where to go. though the store closes at 11, and it was 11:20, and his food was promised in an hour (making me early), he thought it reasonable not to tip. and to also question if his order was right. get a life! on my way to the next apartment building, i run into mandi, who works at davinci's also, and lives in these apartments. she had the night off and stopped to say hi. i informed her the night was going crappy. she commented that my voice was going.

and that's another thing i'm ranting about here. all through the night my throat was getting sore and my voice was wearing out. i was thinking, "now i won't be able to communicate with people. greeeaaaaat." plus, a sore throat and no voice is a sign of sickness. and i hate being sick.

i get to what i think is the right apartment building. but there are trees in front of it and no numbers on the building at all. i go inside thinking it has to be the one. wrong! i call the customer. he tells me his building is the next one over, the one that looks nothing like all the others and doesn't look like it even belongs with them. he was nice enough to come outside and down a flight of stairs to meet me. he got his food and i headed back to the store.

i counted up the day's earnings (which were minimal), did some mopping, clocked out, grabbed the food that was made at 9 that i still hadn't gotten to eat, and left.

here's the thing about last night that most made me mad. i missed the majority of becca's show at the chatterbox. she had invited me on wednesday and since then i was really really looking forward to it. i've never seen her band play before and was so anxious to do so. everything kept happening at work to prevent me from this though. i finally got there, letting my food sit to get cold in my car, around 11:45. her band started playing at 11. the guy at the door still charged me to get in even though i was only going to be there for 15 minutes. i heard 1 1/2 songs. paul, molly, matt, and amy thompson were there. i was still very cross from the night so far and it was visible. my voice had gone out and i couldn't even tell people what went on. and it was loud making it much harder. there was talk of going to cliff's or staying to watch the next band and then going to cliff's. but i left after something someone said. it made me angry. turns out that i took what that person said too seriously. they were only joking. on my way out of the chatterbox, i hit my head HARD on a beam outside the door. right then i wanted to just sit down and cry. "what a crummy night!" i was thinking. i wanted a little comfort after the night i had, you know? anyone know how that goes? when something is tough and you need comfort and/or understanding? well i wasn't really in a position to get that, i guess. here i was in a loud bar, with no voice, around people who had been there awhile and were already settled in.

yeah. thinking back now, i wish i would have just sat down and cried. that would have been enough communication to the others that i was having a rough time.

cheers!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

i really wanna see you soon & be there to give you big hugs, but I also know that it's highly possible that I might also be one of the people that annoys you! Ha, ha!!

Anonymous said...

Yes Scottie we have all been there, done that. Our difficult moments in life come and go but what helps to comfort me is knowing that difficult moments are and always will be temporary. I identify with you and understand some of the struggles that you face. Living in this world can indeed be very trying and the more I identify with God and grow closer to Him the more trying this world becomes. The closer we come to Christ will ultimately takes us farther and farther from this world and the people who live comfortably in it. Sometimes I feel like an orphan who's only biding my time here on this planet. But this is where faith comes in...I believe that our faith dictates our life. If we have strong and consistent faith our troubles are minimal no matter what our circumstances are...meaning being content in all situations. However, if we possess a weak or inconsistent faith then our problems seem to take over and dictate our lives. I see many examples in the Word that support this and when I apply this philosophy in my life it works consistently. The Lord is always with you so let Him do what He does best, comfort you and guide you.