random picture

19 December 2007

numero dos

it happened for only the second time in my life. i got a speeding ticket. the o street overpass closing has caused much grief and now this is added to that. since i can't take o street west, i have to go waaaaaaay around. there are a couple of ways to do this but they take so much more time. it's highly inconvenient. i find that i drive faster to get the deliveries there on time.

lastnight, i decided to take the road that runs by haymarket park and then through the neighborhood just north and west of memorial stadium. the road was baron. where i got caught, i assumed the speed limit was 35 because of the wide road and no houses. by the way, there is no posted speed limit there until you enter the residential area. officer moody was writing me a ticket right there as i wasn't in the residetial area yet. and yes folks, i was slowing down as not to be speeding on slippery streets through a residential area lined with cars. i was going barely over 30 when i passed lincoln's finest. my ticket, however, was for 38 - making me wonder how far away i was actually clocked. since i was on the clock and in a hurry, i didn't want to spend time arguing with officer moody (who was already taking his own sweet time). i wish i would have seen the cop car earlier and braked, downshifted, e braked, and came to a complete stop quickly before i even got to him. then i could have sat there and then he'd have to walk back to me. lol! i wonder what he would have thought about that?

so now i have to take a stop class. bah! eight hours of someone telling me not to speed. eight hours of listening to some maroon telling me to drive at "ten and two". grrrr! i need to humble myself, go into the class, meet some new people there, have some fun, forget about the whole fiasco, and be thankful that i'll be paying a lower fine and not have my insurance go up.

cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scottie,

I'm sorry to her about your ticket. FYI in TX the speed limit is always 35 unless posted otherwise. Also, one is allowed 50ft from the speed limit sign to adjust for the speed difference, if any.

I've noticed here that most neighborhood speeds are 25mph and main roads like 33rd or O in the downtown area are 35mph. If the speed limit where you got ticketed was 25mph, it must be posted in reasonable locations so you can know and respond appropriately.

A trick I learned in Houston was whenever I got a ticket I would show up to court. 100% of the time the officer never showed up to court and my ticket was always dismissed. I recommend trying this and if the officer does show up have some photos of the area where you got pulled over to show that there were no speed limit signs. That may get you off and if not you probably can still go to defensive drivers class.

Good luck.